February is a short month, so February is a good month to make some changes… and it just so happens to be next month… and there are 28 days in February… and I’m 28 years old… (Dunno what that has to do with anything)
Anyway. The past month I’ve been compiling a list of things I’d like to change in my life. Some are health related; others are just to bring more balance, peace and consistency to my life. I am a little reluctant to share them with you because I know you will hold me accountable to them… which is kind why I’m sharing.
1. I will be doing a 14 day Daniel fast. I know the traditional Daniel fast is 21 days, but Im not giving up my nice Valentine’s Day dinner with the hubs. Plus, I think 14 days is about my limit right now. I’ve never fasted a day in my life. I plan to start the fast on Monday the 31st which will be perfect for my fabulous Valentine’s Day dinner. I want this to not just be for my health, but for spiritual centering as well. (I still have a little more reading to do on fasting before I totally understand what I’m doing)
2. Meditate 4 days a week. Ok, I know this should be daily- but I KNOW I’m going to forget or not have time or “insert excuse here”. So I think 4 days is a good place to start. I know what you’re thinking… “Oh, she’s into that weird eastern culture voodoo meditation stuff.” Well friend, if that was your thought, then I encourage you to pick up your Bible. Meditation is a great way to prepare you to communicate with The Creator. Last year I developed a great habit of “almost” daily meditation. My prayer life was better than it’s ever been. I’d like to get back into that habit. I myself DO like to combine my meditation with a simple calming yoga practice, something that is not too taxing on the body and you can memorize easily so your mind stays focused on your meditation and not what move you’re supposed to be doing. In a later post I’ll go more into my thoughts and experiences on the subject- but for now I need to work on me- practice what you preach right. I am compiling a list of scriptures and personal affirmations to meditate on. I’ll share them with you later.
3. Take a nature walk once a week. I crave the outdoors. Especially when the weather is cold like this. I’m only committing to once a week because as cold as it is- daily or multiple times a week may not be an option. I can “enjoy” the brisk weather for 30 minutes once a week. I don’t know about you, but a nice outdoor walk always makes me feel peaceful and centered.
4. De-clutter and organize my home. I was rearranging my bedroom last night and I just kept hearing “it’s time to simplify”. I’m not one for hoarding… I usually get rid of things too soon if anything… but as I was going through stuff I really felt like I had a lot of things that just needed to be thrown out. It may be useful stuff- but nothing I really need. Nothing I can’t live without- that’s for sure. My plan is to tackle my bedroom, the bedroom closet, the laundry room and the hall closet this month. I’ll leave the office/craft room for another month (that will be a nightmare).
5. Work out- in the morning- 4 days a week. Ouch! I’m not a fan of typing that one. Morning workouts make me feel soooo good all day and help me get a grand night’s sleep. It’s just a matter of getting up and getting to the gym that’s the hard part.
So, throughout the month I’ll keep you posted on how I do on all of these. Maybe the accountability will help me stick to them. My goal in all this is to develop habits that will carry on helping simplify my life and inject a bit more peace and relaxation to our busy life. Anyone else want to join me?